From Humble Beginnings…
Old Ottawa East was established primarily by working class people who toiled on the construction of the Rideau Canal waterway; or, post-construction, the boats and barges that used the Rideau Canal as a working waterway. Old Ottawa East was incorporated in 1888 [later amalgamated into the current City of Ottawa]. The housing stock has been referred to as ‘tenements’. How things have changed! This beautiful, red brick semi-detached home in Old Ottawa East was originally constructed in the late 1800’s. It has undergone numerous changes over the past 100-plus-years and unfortunately, not all were in keeping with the originally beauty of this home.
The current owners required more functional space on the ground floor to accommodate their growing family. The owners identified some significant challenges to the structure of this dwelling that would prove to be very interesting hurdles to over-come! The owners wanted to change the location of the kitchen from the rear of the home to the front – thereby allowing them to have ‘eyes on the street’ when preparing meals etc… There was also a lack of natural light into the rear of the ground floor. In order to achieve the revised floor plan and create a level floor plate without undulations (that were present in the existing floor), the first floor joists and sheathing were removed, a new joist floor system installed and with it a level floor to create the space the owners desired! The new joist system had the added benefit of creating more headroom in the basement while maintaining 9’ ceilings on the ground floor!
The owners’ style is reflected in the millwork, Zenstone countertops, marble backsplash tiles, peninsula lighting from Vancouver and the sliding glass door system. The sliding glass door system not only floods natural light but also seamlessly draws the exterior into the home.
From a humble beginning, this spectacular home is worthy of its proximity to the Rideau Canal – a UNESCO World Heritage Site!